It is difficult to get some sleep when you have a huge event happening the next day.  I know for the first day of school, I was always nervous.  First day on the job, yup, the nerves caused me not to sleep.  Coming home after a deployment, yup hard to sleep when you are going to see your family the next day.  And going in for my first day for treatment, yup, couldn’t sleep.

Somehow, I managed so sleep, because I remember the alarm waking me up at 5 o’clock in the morning.  We would have to leave in 45 minutes so we won’t get caught up in the morning commute traffic.  My appointment for radiation was set for 6:30 o’clock in the morning.  No time for breakfast, just time to get ready, brush my teeth, shave, get a quick body wash, and get some tea to go.

As I looked at myself in the mirror doing my morning cleaning of the trach, I went over each device.  The trach is working well.  It is difficult to live with that is for sure.  But it’s ready to go in case I ever get into an emergency situation if my airway is ever compromise.  My PORT for my chemo is ready as well.  The wound healed fine.  They used glue to put it together and over time it just peeled of my body.  My feeding peg is ok too.  It’s a little bruised at the entry point, but it too is ready to go in case I need to feed myself thru the tube because it becomes difficult to swallow food.

Yesterday, I did an inventory of my cleaning supplies and had to re-order with two different companies.  The first for the trach which was easy.  The company representative visited me in the hospital, gave me a card, and told me to give him a call when I needed cleaning supplies.  So when I called him yesterday, he was like, “oh yeah, Mr. Garcia, how’s everything?”  I told him it is going well and that I needed to order some cleaning supplies.  His response was perfect, “Ok, I already have you in the system and a month’s worth of cleaning supplies is ready to go.  You should get it by Friday or Saturday at the latest.”  Now that was customer service.

Then, I called the company for my feeding tube.  Somehow, someone, cancelled my order.  I don’t know who but I don’t blame anyone.  You see, my old Army training kicked in and said, “hey you really should check with these people to ensure you get your feeding supplies and cleaning kits.”  Even though it was cancelled, I need to thank my case manager to ensure everything was placed back on track.  Today, I received a 6 day of supply of food and tomorrow a nurse will come by to educate me on how to feed me.

REDCON 1 is a military acronym for READY CONDITION 1, which means all systems are go for a mission, everyone going on the mission have their weapons, their ammo, communications checks are done, vehicles are full of gas, all maintenance checks and systems are complete.  We are now just waiting for now is the time to go.  My time to go was at 5:45 o’clock this morning.

Author: danielgarcia3

Retired Military Officer who is now fighting the good fight against Cancer

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Google photo

You are commenting using your Google account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s