End of Week 1

It is the end of week 1 for me on my treatment with Cancer.  It started on Thursday with my first radiation treatment followed by a long 6 hour chemo treatment.  Today, it was just radiation.

I often wonder about those individuals who are unable to express themselves how they coped.  I am grateful that I am able to write my experiences and I hope it will bring some light.  I know that some of the upcoming subjects are not pleasant so I will try and be frank and honest about it.

For example, right now I am a bit constipated and it is frustrating!  Yes, I took some miralax and then I read on the bottle that it will take 1 to 3 days.  1 to 3 days!!! I feel like I can go now but nope, I don’t have any jumpers in the door.  I was told this may happen.  I should have taken the miralax sooner.  Lesson learned.

And now my throat is burning.  I was told that by my radiologist.  It feels like heartburn and maybe it is.  So today for second breakfast, my mother-in-law fried up two tortillas, melted cheese on one of them, added some salsa, a fried egg, and then placed the other fried tortilla on top of it all.  It was good!!! Then I remembered, no eating tomatoes or any other acidic food.  It’s going to be a long 6 months living with a bunch of people who love the Mexican cuisine.

Apparently, chemo does something to your blood sugars, like spikes them up bad.  So I am watching my carb intake as well.  My blood sugar reading in the morning before breakfast was around 115.  Day After Chemo, 155, and two hours of eating second breakfast, 288!!!  Holy moly!!!  So off I went to go for a walk in the neighborhood.  Now, I have always enjoyed walking around the neighborhood, and I figured I can at least walk a mile, maybe a bit more.  It’s been a long time since I exercised.  Somehow, around the 3/4 mile mark, I began to get hic-ups, my legs were ok, but I was getting tired.   So I walked back home and just felt fatigued.  So I layed down for a nap.

About those hic-ups, I still have them.  Going on strong since 2pm!  Although I stopped when I was taking a nap, but as soon as I got up, they were like, “hey about time now let’s get to hic-uping!”  So much to learn about this change of lifestyle.  My throat still hurts, no jumpers in the door, and I can only hold my breathe for so long.  My grandfather, Papa Nene, would always tell me to place a table spoon of sugar in my right hand and a glass of water in my left hand.  With the right hand, place the sugar in your mouth and quickly drink it down with the water in the left hand.  In the back of my mind I am thinking, “oh dang you diabetes”!

Author: danielgarcia3

Retired Military Officer who is now fighting the good fight against Cancer

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google photo

You are commenting using your Google account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s